Snapping Turtles

Snapping Turtles

Sunday, March 16, 2008

THEME of LOTF


What is the major theme of this novel? why is this theme important to a teenager living in 2008?

The theme of LOTF seems to be man is corrupted (sinful) and cannot save himself, but men have a rescuer (a Savior). By the end of the book, the island is in shambles. The bloodthirsty hunters are trying to murder Ralph. Ralph is in tears and is trying his best to run away. Two boys were already killed. The island was hopeless. It's just like the world.

However, that is not the end of the book. Suddenly, a man comes to rescue the boys (from themselves). The boys are saved. Similarily, the world has a rescuer. We mess up and need to be saved from ourselves. God is our Savior. In his arms, we are safe, perfectly safe.

3 comments:

Kangaroo said...

THREE POSTS ALREADY?!
...

Anyways, there is also another way to look at the theme for this book, in a form of a question.

If the kids were pretending to be adults, and then a real adult comes to save the kids, then who will save the adult? (keep in mind that the adult is from the Navy, and the book's time period in in a middle of a war).

Sophia Lee said...

Wow! That’s what I thought about the theme! I also thought that this novel showed that there is a rescuer which is Jesus. The world is a chaos without Jesus. I also thought the theme was about human having evil inside. However, human gets washed by Jesus. I like the part when you said we are perfectly safe in His arm.Anyway I like your thoughts!

David Lee Dong Hun said...

Your theme is pretty impressive, but I have different idea. I think the theme of this novel is that teenagers today have mental evolution and helps the society later on. I was just discussing about my theme ^_^